Kobold Large Soarway Diver Ref. KD 832121 -C
Posted by wristwatch on August 27, 2007
The timepiece worn by legendary deep sea diver and conservationist Philippe Cousteau is none other than a Kobold watch designed with his help. The Large Soarway Diver is not only the latest Kobold watch designed with the input of a world-class adventurer, it is also the biggest timepiece in the Kobold collection.
Its large dial features a minimalist design in keeping with the style of professional diver’s watches from the 1960ies. The bold hour and minute hands harmonize perfectly with the luminous hour markers, which contrast with the non-reflective Deep Black dial color. A uni-directional rotating bezel can be used to indicate the amount of time left for a specific diving excursion. The case also features a screw-locked crown and screw-down caseback. Moreover, the bars to which the wristband is attached are screw-locked on either side, thereby preventing an accidental loss of the watch.
Waterproof to a depth of 500 meters (1,650 ft.), shock-resistant and antimagnetic, the Large Soarway Diver impresses with multiple shock-resistance systems and a secondary, internal case made from soft-iron to minimize the effects of magnetic interference on the watch movement.
The upbringing of the storied adventurer Jacques Yves Cousteau’s grandson more closely resembles that of a marine mammal than of a land-roving human being. Always close to a body of water to explore, Philippe learned to dive at the age of eight. His father, Philippe Sr., died in a plane accident so the young Philippe picked up a few tricks from mentors like his grandfather and his late father’s chief of expeditions, who taught him how to dive.
Philippe’s grandfather instilled in him a strong sense of social justice and taught him that the health of society contributes to a healthy environment. “I remember having dinner in New York City with my grandfather,” recalls Philippe, “he took off his watch and told me that if we don’t take care of our environment, objects like his watch would be so costly one day, that few people can afford them.” Philippe pauses before reflecting on the current state of our planet’s environment: “Our planet can’t sustain the level of production to which we have grown accustomed.”
Today, Philippe and his sister, Alexandra, are the co-founders of Earth Echo International, a conservationist organization that seeks to promote a healthier environment. The Kobold Watch Company, under its own “Embrace Earth” program, which aims to raise awareness about global warming, seeks to support the ongoing conversation work performed by Philippe and Alexandra. As a result, the proceeds of the Large Soarway Diver, which is limited to only 150 individually numbered pieces, benefit Earth Echo International.
The Large Soarway Diver is shipped with two straps. The watch is shipped on a waterproof nylon band that is preferred by professional divers all over the world. Recognizing that many collectors of dive watches never actually use their timepieces under or even in water, Kobold offers the Large Soarway Diver on an additional strap handmade in Germany from calfskin. The watch arrives in a wooden collector’s box with space for two other watches.
* movement ETA 2824-A2; Swiss-made;
* winding automatic mechanism
* jewels 21
* balance Glucydur
* mainspring Nivarox 1
* functions hours, minutes, seconds; (date optional)
* 40 hours power reserve, integrated shock resistance system (INCABLOC)
* case stainless steel (surgical grade); brushed surface finish
* inner case made from soft iron (cylinder, back plate, dial plate); secondary shock resistance system (SAS)
* 45.85 mm diameter (bezel end to bezel end);
* 49.65 mm diameter overall (bezel end to crown end);
* 55.25 mm length overall (lug end to lug end);
* 24 mm lug width (between lugs; measures strap width);
* 15.25 mm height overall
* 154.6 g. weight (with strap attached to watch)
* crystal synthetic sapphire; domed, anti-reflective (inside only); extra-thick
* crown screw-locked; signed
* bezel rotating; uni-directional with count-up minute scale
* back stainless steel (surgical grade); screw-locked
* waterproof (50 atm/1,650 ft with crown locked);
* (3 atm/100 ft with crown unlocked); antimagnetic (80,000 a/m); shock-resistant; pressure-proof to 50 atmospheres;